Sunday, December 21, 2014

December Fun

It's hard to believe Christmas is only a few days away!  We've had a very busy month.

Last weekend we went to see Disney Frozen on Ice.  It was a great show!  We didn't tell the girls ahead of time, so it was a fun surprise for them.  


I found a gingerbread cookie recipe that I wanted to try out.  I didn't expect it to get so complex, but it involved a dinner time run to Target to find a gingerbread cookie cutter (I swear I owned one...).  Since there were none to be found, we ended up with Ninjabread cookie cutters (which after a little convincing, the girls decided was pretty cool).  Like I said, I hadn't anticipated this becoming a big thing, so we had to go with what we had in the pantry for decorating (I had planned a little white icing piped on by me).  The girls had a good time with it and they ended up pretty cute.  More fancy cookies to come this week for Santa!






The girls didn't have Christmas parties at school, but they both had pajama day.  Elle got to bring a blanket and they had a movie day with popcorn.  They did some Christmas crafts at school, but also learned about Hanukah, Diwali, and Kwanzaa.  She came home last week telling me how Wednesday was an important day, but she couldn't remember why.  She said "I think it's a season" and when I asked about winter, she said, "nah, that's not it.  St. Patrick's Day!!"  After a bit more discussion, we landed on the fact that it was the first day of Hanukah!  Scarlett learned about all the holidays too and had "winter" fun at school.  


Friday was a half day at school, so they came home, bathed and changed for Santa!  Poor Scarlett was getting sick, but went along and took a great photo anyway!


Yesterday, much to our surprise we looked out the window and saw SNOW!  The girls were beyond thrilled to run out in it.  Even though nothing stuck, they were still so excited to see snow falling from the sky for the first time (true first for Elle, first that Scarlett can remember).  Look closely to see the snowflakes in their hair!



Today we made gingerbread houses (or as Scarlett insisted on correcting...GRAHAM CRACKER houses).  I found this genius tip on Pinterest to use hot glue to put them together (since no one eats them anyway) and it made the whole thing much easier!  I whipped up some royal icing to cover the glue and stick on the candy.  The girls loved it!  Scarlett of course had to tell me that she couldn't believe I used GLUE so now she can't eat it.  Not that she has EVER in her life eaten or even thought about eating a gingerbread house :o)




No comments: